Unless you have visa-free access, obtaining a Turkey transit visa is an important step in beginning your journey abroad if you need to enter Turkey in order to get to your next destination. Depending on your nationality, you may need to have an online visa or regular transit visa.
For a regular visa, you’ll need to complete all the steps of the application process in a Turkish embassy or consulate, including having a visa interview. The online visa is much easier to obtain, as you can do it all from home without additional hassle.
A Turkey transit visa is available in two types – a single-entry for a 30-day stay and multiple-entry 90-day visas, which both stay valid for 90 days from issuance.
In order to obtain a transit visa without issues, you must meet all the requirements. Follow this article to get information on how to ensure you have the best chance for quickly and easily obtaining a Turkey transit visa on time, so you can enter turkey with no issues.
Who needs a Turkey Transit Visa?
The visa is necessary for travelers transiting to the next destination country via the Turkish border with the intention of leaving the transit area or staying overnight in Turkey.
If you plan to stay in the transit zone within the Turkish airport while waiting for your connecting flight, you don’t require a Turkish visa – in this case, only a valid passport is necessary.
Transit visa types
There are two types of Turkey transit visa:
- a Turkish e-Visa – an online visa that can be obtained by citizens of eligible countries remotely from any place and at any time;
- a Turkish Sticker visa – a regular visa for which one must attend an embassy or consulate in person.
How do you apply for a transit visa to Turkey?
If you need to apply for a regular Turkish transit visa, you must come to an embassy, fill out the visa application form, attach documentation, and have a visa interview with officials.
The online visa application process is much easier, as you don’t need to go to an office. Take any working device of yours and follow these straightforward steps:
- Provide your personal and travel information in the form;
- Check the accuracy of data – make sure it’s error-free;
- Upload the requested documents;
- Cover the processing fees;
- Check the inbox. The approved transit visa will arrive as a PDF document directly to your email address;
- Save the document onto your device and make a paper copy. You’ll need to present it at the Turkish entry point. Electronic visas are accepted by all international airports, including Istanbul Airport.
Requirements for an electronic visa
When applying for a Turkey transit visa online, you must satisfy the following conditions:
- have a functioning smartphone, laptop, personal computer, or tablet;
- have an internet connection – mobile internet, Wi-Fi, or hardwired internet;
- have the ability to pay online (debit/credit card, PayPal, PayU) and sufficient financial means on your chosen payment method;
- have an accessible and active email account.
Required documents for a Turkish transit visa
An effective international passport is a mandatory document for all applicants. A passport must stay valid for a minimum of 6 months from the intended date of arrival in Turkey. If passport data changes after the visa’s approval, the Turkish visa becomes ineffective.
Also, depending on the nationality, you may need some of the following supporting documents:
- a face photograph
- an onward ticket – you should prove you have an airline ticket for your destination country booked with Turkish Airlines, Pegasus Airlines, Onur Air, or AtlasGlobal Airlines
- proof of savings or income – you must prove you have sufficient funds for your transit in Turkey (bank statements, salary slips, the income from renting, a letter of support from another person guaranteeing to cover your expenses; it’s about €50 for each day of stay
- a valid visa or a residence permit from one of the Schengen countries, the USA, the UK or Ireland
- a valid travel health insurance
- a visa for the next destination (if required)
- police clearance certificate – you should present proof that you haven’t been involved in criminal activities during the latest years
- proof of accommodation in Turkey – hotel reservation or an invitation letter from the host in Turkey.
Eligible counties for Turkey transit visa
Citizens of these countries are eligible to apply for eVisa:
- Antigua and Barbuda,
- Dominican Republic,
- Greek Cypriot Administration,
- Hong Kong,
- Saint Lucia,
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines,
- Saudi Arabia,
- South Africa,
- the USA,
- United Arab Emirates,
- United Kingdom.
Citizens of these countries can apply for e-Visa under certain conditions:
- Burkina Faso,
- Cape Verde,
- Central African Republic,
- Côte d’Ivoire,
- Democratic Republic of the Congo,
- Equatorial Guinea,
- Republic of Congo,
- Republic of Moldova
- Sao Torne and Principe,
- Sierra Leone,
- United Republic of Tanzania,