Basic information about student visa
The Turkish student visa allows entry into Turkey for educational purposes, like having a course or studying at an educational institution, a university or school, or doing an internship.
To apply for a student visa, one must have an acceptance letter from an educational institution. Then it is necessary to attend a Turkish embassy or consulate in your area, submit an application form with the requested documents, and cover the fees.
The decision will be made in a few weeks. Then, within a month from arrival in Turkey, student visa holders should apply for a residence permit. A residence permit stays effective for one year, with the possibility of renewal within 60 days before its expiration date.
Under a student visa, it is not allowed to get employed or start a business in the country.
Who needs a Turkey study visa?
All individuals willing to travel to Turkey for educational purposes are required to obtain a Turkish student visa. The only students exempt from this permit belong to the following categories:
- citizens of the Northern Republic of Cyprus
- students whose parents live in Turkey under a work permit and residence permit
- international students who are willing to complete a bachelor’s or master’s degree from an educational institute in Turkey and have earlier completed their secondary/high-school education in Turkey
- Blue Card holders
Turkey student visa process
It is recommended to apply for a student visa 30-60 days ahead of the planned date of arrival in Turkey. The visa application process for a Turkey student visa involves such steps:
- First of all, you need to be accepted by an educational institution in Turkey. Only after that will you be able to apply for a student visa.
- Then, you have to book an appointment at the nearest Turkish embassy or consulate – it is possible to book an appointment online.
- Attend the visa interview. You will have to answer some questions about your travel to Turkey and future plans. You should make a good impression, as the process of interviewing has a significant impact on the final decision – whether your visa will be approved or not.
- Fill out the visa application form. Double-check it to ensure all the data is correct.
- Attach the required documents. You can see the list of necessary documents later in this article.
- Pay the processing fees.
- Wait for the application to be processed and approved – it usually takes from 3 to 15 days. Check if you can track the progress of your document on the Turkish consulate website.
- Once enter Turkey, you should apply for a residence permit. It must be done within the period of 30 days from arrival into the country.
- If your visa is rejected, you need to find out what the problem is (you may have made some mistakes during entering information). Fix it, and apply for another visa. If you need more information, please contact a Turkish embassy.
Turkish student visa requirements
When applying for Turkish student visas, the following documents need to be submitted:
- a fully-completed Turkey student visa application form
- your effective passport, which doesn’t expire within at least 6 months from the intended date of entry into Turkey
- two passport-sized face photos
- your previous education certificates and diplomas
- health insurance valid for the whole duration of your studies
- a letter of acceptance from an educational institution specifying the duration of studies
- Proof of having sufficient financial means for a full stay in Turkey (bank statements, a letter of sponsorship, and a letter of sponsorship)
- Proof of having accommodation in Turkey (a letter of invitation from friends or relatives, a document from a dormitory that you have a reserved place, or a rental agreement)
- booked plane tickets to Turkey
To apply for a residence permission, one needs to collect such documents:
- an application form
- a passport with photocopies and a student visa
- proof of being enrolled in a university
- four passport size face photographs
How to get a student residence permit?
After you arrive in Turkey, you need to apply for a residence permit within a month. This way, you will be allowed to stay in the country for more than 90 days.
You can get a residence permit at the Provincial Directorate of Migration Administration:
- an application form
- a valid passport (+ photocopies and your student visa)
- Proof of your studies in the university
- 4 passport-size face photographs